I have rewritten completely KLog into a new software, Kontest. The name is something still to be defined so if you have any preference, please tell me what you think! Today it is called Kontest, because I wanted to give KLog contest capabilities.
Today, let me call KLog to the previous software and Kontest to the new one, so we can understand each other.
What’s new with Kontest?
My first intention was to provide all the functionalities of KLog into Kontest, before releasing, to try to avoid the maintenance of two different software packages, however, there are some differences:
- The main difference between KLog and Kontest is that Kontest can be run in Linux, OSX and Windows.
- Kontest uses an sqlite database and can be executed in memory or in a file, providing speed or security of your data, you choose!
- Kontest has an improved GUI, with some more fields to manage data.
What about the contest capabilities?
Even ifKontest has been designed to allow an “easy” integration of new contest from the developer point of view although today it is not supporting ANY contest…
My intention was to provide all the KLog functionalities first, and once the day-to-day logging is working as KLog, I will start working on the contest capabilities.
What can I do now?
- First of all, remember that this is an ALPHA release so it may (I should use will) have many bugs. Don’t trust this software to be your only logging software (yet) and know that you can loose your data!! I am just releasing this version because I believe in the RERO development philosophy.
- Join the mailing list. We will use the KLog’s mailing list. So please, subscribe and send all the bugs and suggestions you have.
- Help with the development. You can join me to create the best multiplatform hamradio logging software we can.
So, how can I download Kontest?
Today, you can only download Kontest from Sourceforge.
Check the following link for the downloads:
Again, don’t hesitate to report any bug and/or suggestion you may have.
I hope you will enjoy Kontest!